If you are a winter-sports lover, the Chamrousse ski resort is not a place you will want to miss. Tucked away in a quaint village in the French Alps that harbors all the magic and charm of the mountain, this small community has the added advantage of its geographical location, that of being very close to Grenoble and other major cities in southern France.
Chamrousse has everything you need to enjoy mountain sports with your family. The station is “Les P’Tits Montagnards” certified, a distinction given to kid-friendly ski resorts that have facilities for blossoming skiers as young as 18 months old. Equipped with a day-care center, and the fact that kids aged five and under do not require a lift ticket, it is an ideal destination for the youngest of children.
Known for having hosted the alpine-ski events of the 1968 Winter Olympics, it is subdivided into several areas:
- Recoin (Chamrousse 1,650m). In use since 1878, from here you can ride the gondola to the resort’s highest point, the Chamrousse Cross (2,250 m) and enjoy the more than impressive view.
- Villages du Bachat (Chamrousse 1,700 m). A ski area dedicated to beginners, with an abundance of green and blue slopes, and an additional run just for children.
- Roche Béranger (Chamrousse 1,750 m). An alpine ski area for intermediate level (blue) skiers, and home to Sunset Park, a space created specifically for freestyle and snowpark It is, hands-down, the best choice for families with children since it is full of playful activities.
Let us not forget the Plateau de l’Arselle (Chamrousse 1,700 m) and its vast 40-km terrain devoted to cross-country, skate skiing and snowshoeing.
The town’s small size does not prevent it from including a variety of lodging options, from hotels, such as the Datcha and the Auberge du Virage (1,650 m), to a specially designated area for motor homes (1,800 m).
Chamrousse Technical Information
- 130 km of skiable terrrain (90 km of alpine and 40 km of x-country)
- Lowest altitude: 1,400 meters
- Highest altitude: 2,250 meters
- 17 lifts
- 41 runs: green (20%), blue (34%), red (32%) and black (15%)
- 850-meter vertical drop
- Night skiing
You will not miss a thing with the Chamrousse App!
Skitude puts all the information concerning the Chamrousse ski resort, and a variety of other features, into the palm of your hand to provide you with a unique experience.
- Ski and snow report: Receive real-time information on run and lift closures, accumulated snowfall, avalanche risk levels, total kilometers skied and much more.
- Weather information: Get current resort weather conditions, and a nine-day predicted forecast too.
- Webcam: Use your mobile phone to watch live video of the slopes and see the conditions for yourself.
- Social Media: Be up to date with all resort activities.
- Interactive map: Pinpoint your location from anywhere on the resort grounds and easily find your way to the points of interest that appeal to you the most.
- Timeline: Connect with other users, compare routes and itineraries.
With the MySkitude compatible Chamrousse App, you can register your activity on the slopes, locate your contacts, take part in ongoing challenges and capture images with geotag information. All this, and more, so you can keep improving your stats. Not too shabby!
Prepare your trip to this resort in the French Alps with the Chamrousse App, and you will not miss a thing!